Photos of holes and filled in holes are not very interesting, so the blog has been quiet for a few days. The drive and garage base are now finished with electric/gas ducting going between the garage and the house.
The re-enforced concrete from the barn has been broken up and transported off site, and the hardcore underneath recycled as part of the drive.
Now we move to the next stage which is dealing with sewerage – no mains drainage here. So a large 3m deep hole was dug for this concrete tank.
Not that much shows once it is filled in – looks rather like a submarine. Apparently they went through 4 layers: Topsoil, yellow stony “head”, red mudstone and finally reaching a clay.
Second week of ground works; the drive has now reached the garage area. The garage area has also been cleared and had its hard-core put down. The telephone ducting is also now laid along side the drive.
The groundworks team started on Monday with the first challenge getting the digger over the road ditch and into the site. Now at the end of the first week, all the tree stumps are out and the drive is making its way slowly back through the wood from the new entrance on Mill Lane. The new drive as viewed to/from the road.
Of course digging up tree roots and moving soil for the hard-core has given up two big piles. The tree roots are stacked in a 4ft pile behind the old greenhouses and there is a 10ft high cone of top-soil and roots next to the old train shed.
Not a lot at the moment, though the groundworks team were ready to start. The final tree felling plan went to Herefordshire council 6 weeks ago. And so everything is waiting on their agreement. They have to make a decision by the 7th August and obviously it is going to take until then. Very frustrating as obviously we want the house weather tight before winter.
On the plus side the windows have been ordered.
Mike has put together a 40 second video of the barn being dismantled – if only it had been so quick in practice.
Disposing of the barn was always going to be one of the big jobs that we were in charge of. So after many weekends emptying it, we put it up for auction on ebay. And yesterday was the D-day – or “Dismantling Day”. Laura and Paul had come up from Cornwall the previous evening and so with help from their friend Paul, we spent the day dismantling it. Plus help from a very-well behaved puppy – Stan. ( Time-lapse movie in a later posting)
And so we thought – getting the lorry out of the field gate which took 30 minutes on arrival only took 10 minutes, but then disaster the lorry got two wheels in the ditch. So many thanks to Kay and Sean who dropped every-thing, brought around their tractor and helped get the lorry out to the road.
And so to-day a chance to layout the house as it will be.